2815 Eden Pkwy Lakeland, FL 33803. Phone 863-499-2840, Fax 863-499-2762
Time to send out a very big “THANK YOU” to our teachers. Thanks to our teachers here at Southwest Middle School for all that you do.
Parents are you missing out on important information from your students? Do you find out about events at the last minute? No more worries…sign up for our school’s Remind 101 account.
Text @5e3064 to 81010
In the past school year we began with 6th grade a gradual implementation of grade level shirts of specific color. We will continue this implementation for the upcoming year. All 6th grade shirts for the 15-16 school year will be black in color while 7th grade shirts will be red. in 2016-2017 all three grade levels will have shirts of a specific color.
Please read below the details of our dress code and uniform policy. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you you have any questions.
Tops – No collared shirts. Tops must be crew (round neck) t-shirts:
- Must have long or short sleeves
- Must be made for outer wear
- If purchased outside of school: Shirts for 6th grade students must be solid black in color, shirts for 6th graders must be solid red in color, shirts for 8th graders students must be solid red, black, or navy blue in color
- School t-shirts will continue to be available for purchase at the school. Various styles of black shirts will be available for 6th grade, various styles of red shirts will be available for 7th grade, and various styles in other colors will be available for 8th grade.
- The Dress Code does not allow for clothing with colored trim, stripes, embroidery, decorate, etc. A small logo is acceptable.
Bottoms -Navy, Black, Khaki/Tan, or Denim (not bleached or faded)
- Walking shorts, slacks, skorts, skirts, skirted jumpers.
- Must be plain, solid-color twill, corduroy or denim fabric
- The Dress Code does not allow for clothing with colored trim, stripes, embroidery, decoration, etc. It also does not provide for overalls (overalls with pants or shorts), sweat pants, knit pants/skirts, leggings, etc. A small logo is acceptable.
Other Dress Code rules:
- A belt is required if the garment has belt loops.
- Shirts must be tucked in
- Shorts/skirts/skorts must be mid-thigh or longer
- Shoes must be safe and appropriate. Heel must have a strap around it or be enclosed.
- Clothes must be appropriate size, with waist of garment worn at student’s waist
- Clothing that is too tight or too loose is not appropriate for school.
- School administrators will determine if clothing is appropriate for school and complies with district rules.
- Any pullover garment that is worn all day (sweater, sweater vest, sweatshirt) must: be worn with an appropriate dress code compliant shirt underneath, be solid black if for 6th grade and solid red if for 7th grade, be solid white, navy, or black if for 8th grade, Pullover garments that do not meet the above criteria will not be permitted.
Students entering 6th grade (or higher) cannot receive a schedule or attend classes unless immunization records are up-to-date. If your child’s immunizations are not complete, please be sure to take care of this before school starts so that there will be no delay in receiving a schedule.
Supplies to purchase for the beginning of the year:
- Notebook paper (College rule)
- Inexpensive calculator (shouldn’t be more that $5.00)
- #2 pencils
- Black and red ink pens
- Set of Colored Pencils
- 2 Composition notebooks for Language Arts
- Spiral Notebook for Science (100 page college ruled)
We are pleased to announce that all secondary students now have access to the Office 365 Education package, which includes Office Suite Online, OneDrive cloud storage with the ability to collaborate and share documents, and 5 copies of Office 2013 for home download. Students will not have access to Outlook email at this time; they will continue to use their Polk Gmail. Because they are not using Microsoft email, and the Office 365 accounts reside within our domain, additional permission forms are not needed at this time.
A Student Guide has been created to use with your students and/ or include on your school web site. It is also linked to the Teacher Technology Resource Site, under Microsoft > Office 365. Students can also access Office 365 using their mobile devices. Please see the Office 365 Guide to Mobile Devices.
You must have Windows 2007 or later version (with all the updates installed) and you must have internet access.
Students will log in through the polk-fl website by clicking on the Office 365 link on the bottom, left of the web page, under Tools & More. Note: Students must use the Office 365 link, not the Student Portal or Webmail for Office 365 links.
Their sign- in information is:
Password: Student portal password
This information should be the same as student computer access, with the addition of @polk-fl.net
1st Period – 9:00 – 9:51
Announcements 9:51 – 9:58
2nd Period – 10:02 – 10:53
*3rd Period – 10:57 – 11:48
*4th Period – 11:52 – 12:
*5th Period – 1:16 – 2:07
6th Period – 2:11 – 3:02
7th Period – 3:06 – 3:57
Announcements – 3:07 – 4:00
|A Lunch – 10:57 – 11:22||B Lunch – 11:52 – 12:17||C Lunch 12:47 – 1:12|
|3rd Period – 11:26 – 12:17||3rd Period – 10:57 – 11:48||3rd Period – 10:57 – 11:48|
|4th Period – 12:21 – 1:12||4th Period – 12:21 – 1:12||4th Period – 11:52 – 1:12|
Today your child received a packet with a numerous amount of forms to be filled out and turned in. Please sign and return these forms promptly.
Emergency Contact Form
It is very important that we have the most up to date Emergency Contact Information for your child on file. You can assist us by reviewing and updating this information by using one of the following methods:
- Use Parent portal to make the necessary changes ( not need to return the hard copy back to the school) or
- You can make the necessary changes to the hard copy that was sent home with the student the first day of school and then return it to school. Please use blue or red ink to help assist us in identifying the changes that have been made)
Parents can now access their student’s information from any computer with an internet connection. The My Polk Schools Parent Portal allows parents to check current grades, obtain immunization status, learn if their child had any recorded discipline or attendance issues throughout the day, check their child’s current lunch account balance, and even see what their child purchased in the lunchroom – all before their child comes home from school.